First launched in 2009, the L.U.C Lunar Big Date gets a new updated look this year, which comes in 18-carat white gold with a satin-brushed finish (Prior models are available in 18-carat rose gold).
The moon phase is associated here with the central hour and minute hands, a large date display at 12 o’clock and a small second’s indication between 4 and 5 o’clock. The COSC-certified Fleurier Manufacture’s self-winding L.U.C Calibre 96.20-L with a micro-rotor is housed in a 42mm-diameter case, which is the same proportions as the prior models. A silver-toned sunburst satin-brushed dial, with Roman numerals (Arabic numerals on prior versions) and swept over by Dauphine hands featuring the typical L.U.C design.
The L.U.C Lunar Big Date is endowed with an extremely precise device in which the wheel driving the moon-bearing disc comprises 135 teeth; The moon phase is so accurate that the difference between the true lunar cycle and the indication given by the watch amounts to just one day every 122 years. Achieving such accuracy in a watch is a very complex feat to which Chopard has risen with significant talent. The various moon phases are visible for both Northern and Southern hemispheres through a large aperture between 7 and 9 o’clock ensuring easy readability. In addition, the Northern part of the disc features the Big Dipper constellation, while the Southern part displays the Southern Cross.
The micro rotor winds a two stacked co-axial barrels ensures a 65-hour power reserve to the movement with its balance oscillating at a rate of 28,800 vibrations per hour. The movement is visible through the see-through sapphire crystal case-back.
Fitted with a black hand-sewn alligator leather strap, overall the L.U.C Lunar Big Date is an exceptional watch in terms of both precision and elegance. This White Gold version retail for 24,490 EUR
Chopard LUC Lunar Big Date (Ref. 161969-1001) - Technical Specifications
- 18-carat white gold case,
- Total diameter 42.00 mm,
- Thickness 11.04 mm,
- Water-resistant to 50 metres,
- Crown in 18-carat white gold,
- Correctors at 4 o’clock for the moon phase, between 1 and 2 o’clock for the date,
- Glareproofed sapphire crystal,
- Exhibition back.
- Mechanical self-winding L.U.C 96.20-L,
- Total diameter 33.00 mm,
- Thickness 5.25 mm,
- Number of jewels 33,
- Frequency 28,800 vph (4Hz),
- Power reserve 65 hours,
- Bridges adorned with Côtes de Genève motif,
- Chronometer-certified (COSC).
Dial and hands:
- Silver-toned sunburst satin-brushed dial,
- Dauphine hands for the hours, minutes and small second.
Functions and Indications:
- Central hour and minute hands,
- Big date at 12 o’clock,
- Small seconds between 4 and 5 o’clock,
- Orbital moon phase at 7 o’clock,
- Stop seconds.
Strap and Buckle:
- Hand-sewn black alligator leather strap,
- Folding clasp in 18-carat white gold.